Thursday, May 13, 2010

Simple Lessons from a Child

So, this summer I am a nanny for three boys. Two of them are 6 years old and the third is 2 1/2. So, here's the deal, little kids ask the most interesting questions, and they really want to learn. Yet at the same time, I'm also beginning to realize how sinful people are.

Here is the lesson I learned from my first day on the job. So, the 2 year old's name is Lincoln, and he asks more questions than I could ever answer. He asked tons of questions about God, Jesus, and life in general. The past nanny had been teaching the kids about who God is and about Jesus through Bible stories and life experiences. So, as I took over, little Lincoln decided to throw all the questions at me.

I can't even begin to list the questions he asked me. He asked if God would die, and when I said no, he asked why. So, I tried my best to explain. Then, when I gave that answer, he asked, "why?". When I would tell him to do something, the questions continued, "why?". I tried to explain everything he asked, and then at some point, I just had to tell him to obey or that is just who God is. I know he didn't understand all the reasons why things are the way they are, or why he needs to obey, but at some point he just had to stop and just trust me. So, as I was learning this lesson with him, I thought about how this relates to our relationship with God.

I constantly ask the "why" questions. Often times I do not let my soul rest in what God says, because in my pride I think I have to perfectly understand everything that God says. I think that I need to understand perfectly who God is, and what He is doing at all times. But, there is a verse that comes to mind that speaks exactly to this.

Psalm 131 says, "Lord my heart is not haughty, nor my eyes lofty. Neither do I concern myself with great matters, no with things too profound for me. Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with his mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, hope in the Lord from this time forth and forever."

This verse, inspired by God, gives the answer to the "why" questions that we may continually ask. We need to be as humble children, who trust that their parents are going to take care of them. My soul needs to be quieted and calm within me as I trust God. He is far greater, and wiser than me, and He promises that He will do everything for His glory and my good, so in this I need to rest. The verse ends with, "O Israel, hope in the Lord from this time forth and forever". That is the solution to the questions that we ask. Ultimately, there are things we may never understand about what God is doing. But, in the end, we can say, we can trust and hope in the Lord.

Lets fix our eyes on His promises. Lets trust Him that all His ways are good. While, I am not God, and therefore, everything that I do is not always best, Lincoln is learning to trust me at some points. In the same way, but how much more can we trust the God that is good and faithful. Let us pour out our souls to Him, He cares for us and promises to help us.

Lord, please help me to simply trust Who You are and the plans that you have for me.

I hope that this gives you a little picture into what I am learning and how God is so patient and gracious to teach His children to trust Him. He will not fail us, therefore, let us come to Him with humble hearts, seeking to learn from Him and to trust in Him.

No comments: